Monday, January 9, 2012

Books From 2011

So in 2011 I started writing down all the books I read through the year. I'm sorry to see that the number only amounted to 29, but I suppose that's better than none. I really liked keeping a log of what kinds of things I was feeding my mind. It's very helpful to be able to look back and decide what I would like to read more about or less of.
I admit, there are some books that seem rather childish for a 19 year-old to have read, but hey, I was 18 last year too! :P Sometimes it's fun to be able to just breeze through a book you really don't have to think a lot about. But even in kids' books we can find deep truths about life. See my post on Beyond The Deepwoods.

So anyways. Here are the books I read in 2011. Some of these I had read before.
Let's hope I can double this number in 2012

January
Beyond the Deepwoods - Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell (2nd reading)
A Coming Evil - Vivian Vande Velde
The Slippery Slope - Lemony Snicket
The Grim Grotto - L.S.
The Penultimate Peril - L.S.

February (this month I only read one book, but I'd *like* to think that's okay since I was caring for a great aunt and taking a couple of college classes)
The End - Lemony Snicket

March
Emma - Jane Austin
Northanger Abbey - Jane Austin
An Old-Fashioned Girl - Louisa May Alcott (2nd reading)
The Journal of Augustus Pelletier - Kathryn Lasky
A Line in the Sand - Sherry Garland

aaand then I decided that quantity doesn't always mean quality so I read fewer books a month the rest of the year but I think it's safe to say the quality improved.

April - June
Till We Have Faces - C. S. Lewis (2nd reading; part of a book "club" with Mom, Grace and Rachel)
The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baroness Emmuska Orczy
Joshua and the Flow of Biblical History - Frances A. Schaeffer
Chosen By God - R.C. Sproul (2nd reading; another "club" book)
Gods and Generals - Jeff Shaara
The Blue Castle - Lucy Maud Montgomery (one of my most favorite books ever)

July
Beyond Stateliest Marble - Douglas Wilson (Very encouraging and insightful read. "Life is Christ, and death is more Christ. Life is beloved and death is the Beloved")
Scottish Seas - Douglas M. Jones III (2nd reading)
Huguenot Garden - Douglas M. Jones III (2nd reading)
Joyfully at Home - Jasmine Baucham

August-September
Under Enemy Colors - S. Thomas Russell
The Best Things in Life - Peter Kreeft - (2nd reading; "club" book)
The God We Love and Serve - Allen Dale Curry
Her Hand in Marriage - Douglas Wilson
Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare

October
Here Burns My Candle - Liz Curtis Higgs (This book was rather disappointing)
My Life For Yours - Douglas Wilson

November
The Long Walk - Slavomir Rawicz

December
Rise to Rebellion - Jeff Shaara
Putting Amazing Back Into Grace - Michael Horton
I'm still working on these two and a couple of other books

More books I was reading throughout the year (and still haven't finished)
The Art of Devine Contentment - Thomas Watson
The Rediscovery of Man: The Complete Short Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith

3 comments:

  1. February IS the shortest month too, so I wouldn't worry about it. 8)
    I would say you have no reason to be disappointed! That's a great list. (other than that I didn't see any Dr. Seuss)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I'm pretty sure I probably read some Dr. Seuss to my nephew sometime last year. :-)

    ReplyDelete