Saturday, February 11, 2012

January's Reading List

The stacks of books in my room continue to multiply. (Next to my bed is a stack on the South and there's another stack on fruit trees. talk about multifariousness)

This is what my nightstand looked like in January
(notice my first euro in the foreground!)



I should probably put Rick Steves' Rome on the top of the stack so that I will actually start reading through it before April.

The Challenge of Jesus is good, although it takes time to digest everything N.T. Wright has to say. Small bites, people, small bites.

Passion and Purity is super good too. It's been really helpful.

And I'm still working through Dickens's The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

Nathan Coulter...well, you should just read my post on that book. Or if you're just too lazy, I don't mind telling you that it's one of my all time favorites. Here's a good quote. (I just like it, okay?)

"Uncle Burley didn't own any land at all. He didn't own anything to speak of; just his dogs and a couple of guns...He'd never let Grandpa or Daddy even talk to him about buying a farm. He said land was worse than a wife; it tied you down, and he didn't want to be any place he couldn't leave. He never did go anyplace much, except fishing and hunting, and sometimes to town on Saturday. But he wanted to feel that he could leave if he took the notion."


Call of Duty, by Steve Wilkins. Everyone should read this, (especially if you're a guy) but really, I benefited so much from reading this a second time.

Brunelleschi's Dome by Ross King is fascinating. The more I read about what it took to build Santa Maria del Fiore, the more excited I am to see it when I go to Italy.

And lastly, Putting Amazing Back Into Grace by Michael Horton. It's amazing. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Call of Duty is in my stack of to read right now. Probably to be next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Let me know what you think of it when you're finished!

      Delete