Thursday, March 8, 2012

Late Night Thoughts

It's 11pm, far too late for me to write a lucid post. But I need to get a few things out there into the world that is cyberspace.

So Kony 2012. I'm not going to explain it to you, you should do the research yourself, you'll probably understand it better that way than if I told you. I think it's great and all, what these people are doing. By all means, support them if you so desire, and certainly pray for the destruction of evil men and the freedom of innocent children.

But I was at work today. And I got to thinking(I have a lot of time to think out there in the fields). And I decided that America has it's own invisible children. Who are they? Only the 50 million unborn (and sometimes born) babies that the USofA has aborted. **

That's 50,000,000 human beings, people. Fifty million.

I read that this number of "legal" surgical abortions is equal to the population of these 17 states: Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi. Imagine blacking out these states. Like they never existed. Like you and I never existed, basically.


"Perhaps this visual perspective helps one to grasp the number of people that are gone, dead-robbed of their God given, constitutional rights to life and liberty. How does the “most religious” nation on the planet allow such unspeakable horror?"

Horror. That's what it is, y'all. An unspeakable, gut-wrenching horror.

I'm a pretty strong person. It takes a lot to make me sick to my stomach. Watching gory movies? I can handle that. Talking about blood and guts at the supper table? No big deal. Butchering an animal? I grew up on a farm, silly. But abortion? Murdering 50 million human lives and calling it legal? Excuse me while my insides try to defy gravity.

All good writings have a conclusion that ties in everything else that was said. Well. It's simple. Kony is an evil man. He needs to be stopped. Planned Parenthood. Abortion. It's no less evil. It needs to be stopped.

But we can't simply say those words. As one meme puts it




We need to act. And I don't just mean by clicking a button. We need to be doers, not just hearers as James would say. I know he was talking about being doers of the word. But the same principle applies here. If we care deeply enough about something, we'll get out there and change it.

So what are we waiting for?


**Edit The third paragraph sounds like I've never thought about abortion before. It's always been a big deal to me, but more so just recently. This is just the first time I've ventured to share a little bit of what occupies most of my thoughts these days.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Katherine,

    It is pretty late, so I might be off point here in this rather long comment. sorry:)

    I think I had some of the same thoughts at first. It doesn't seem right that children in Africa are getting all this attention while unborn children in America continue to get murdered in droves.

    But after thinking about it I feel we have to take opportunities when they arrive. Kony is a pro-life movement. It seeks to save and support life. By supporting invisible children and by getting our generation excited about the cause, whether they know it or not they are moving the pro-life agenda forward.

    The awesome "save the storks" guys in Dallas have the right idea. I think their strategy is to be persuasive by not overloading the mothers with an agenda.I think we might be able to use the Kony idea in a similar way.

    It's hard to get people to listen when you tell them what they should or shouldn't be doing. It is a lot easier when you show them by living what you believe.

    America is so polarized by abortion that you can't have a conversation with someone from the other side without it turning into an argument. That leaves very little room for constructive dialog.

    Here is a chance to fight for life with people who are on the other side. This is a great chance to share our belief in the sanctity of life on the other side of the fence while at the same time, standing up for a noble cause.

    I guess my hope is that the Kony movement will soften the hearts of those in America who discredit life, that it will bring people together with different ideologies, and by doing so will give us believers more chances to share the gospel through our words and actions, with a society that needs it now more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug! I think you're absolutely right. I had this wild idea that on April 20th, the cover the night date, pro-lifers should get out there and talk to individuals participating about the parallels of Kony and PP. Which was kind of mainly what I was trying to do here. I dunno, maybe it wouldn't go over so well. I just had this vision of something similar to what Ray Comfort did in 180. Just asking questions that made people think and connect the dots so to speak. Because I think you're right: we need to seize the opportunities that arise, whether or not they are "ideal."

      Delete
  2. I find it interesting that you thought about that yesterday. Last night our local pregnancy center held their annual fundraising banquet and the speaker was talking about that number. He divided it up day by day and by the minute. A child is killed every 25 seconds and by the time he finished speaking 90 children were killed.
    Currently he is working to enable pregnancy centers to give ultrasounds. It changes the rate of abortion minded clients choosing life from 20% average to 85 or 90% average.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very right, Kathryn. Why is there such an uproar about a problem in Africa that most likely doesn't even exist any more? I did the research myself and found out that Kony is most likely dead, and has not been seen or heard from in 6 years. Abortion is ongoing on our own home ground. I'm failing to see the logic in so many people jumping to a call to arms for 30,000 children in Africa, when 50,000,000 never even get to meet the sun, right here at home.

    ReplyDelete